Thursday 12 February 2009

Sound holes


Ive mentioned earlier that i rather like the two-sound-hole-up-front stylie of the bluesy type cigarbox instruments (I ought to investigate as to why this style arose) and so with this in mind I went alooking on the internet and in local hardware stores for an appropriate bezel to finish my holes. It was a harder search than I though it might be, and I was grateful for all the suggestions of John, Lorne, Hugh and Dad as to where I might find such a thing.
I did a lot of searching on line - searching for terms like 'bezel', 'eyelet', 'hole lining', 'grommet', 'hole trim'. I looked at all sorts of industries including 'automotive', 'chandlers', 'clock makers', 'plumbers', 'tarpulin makers', 'curtain makers' and 'kitchen manufacturers' (I should point out that this important research is happening while the family watch 'Shameless' - I think my 1 hour is better spent)
Finally, I come across a picture on a google search that looks just what im after, a couple of clicks and i discover they are manufactured in Birmingham - about 5 miles from me. And so today I went and visited them.
Rivfast (Hampton Works) doesnt really have a trade counter as such, but Steve was very welcoming and interested to see how he might help. He had just the thing - actually he had several styles of eyelets that would work for me, so for a contirbution to the 'tea fund' Steve let me take a small selection away. Now all ive got to do is work out a desired layout for my soundholes

No comments:

Post a Comment