Saturday 28 February 2009

drilling the sound holes



It didn't take me as long as I thought it would to make my final decision about the sound-holes. Perhaps the recent delay in progress had given me some useful incubation time, and the answer was ready and waiting to pop out.
I did however (out of curiosity) make a couple of calculations as to the relative cumulative sound-hole 'holes' of my various options. I had a range from 678 sqmm to 1,271 sqmm, and my final design turned out to be 1,751 sqmm. I have no idea what this means to accoustics - the proof will be in the eating of the pudding. For reference, a cheap Mahalo ukulele has a sound-hole of 1,661 sqmm.
I masking taped the soundboard as I didnt want to make any unnecessary damage that you take an age to sand out. In an ideal world I would have used a trepanning tool (thanks Tone) to make the holes, but not having one, I followed Johns advice on chain-drilling them out. The pillar drill made easy work of the 100 little holes. A bit of sand paper wrapped around an appropriate bit of dowl made a good finish (not that the finish of the holes will be seen once the eyelets are in place)

No comments:

Post a Comment