Sunday 22 February 2009

position of sound hole(s)







So after my successful search for some lovely looking grommets / eyelets / hole-trims, you'd think it would simply be a case of drilling some holes in the soundboard and inserting said inserts.... well not quite.... Ive got to work out WHERE to drill the holes
I feel like my options are limitless - and in some ways the infinite possibilities make me feel a little suffocated. If i were following a plan or copying a tradition, my options would be minimal and progress would be just as quick as i could measure and mark the hole position. But as it is, I have 3 types of grommet and i can do what-ever pleases me with them..... but what pleases me?

I am conscious of the fact that i dont want to deaden the soundboard by putting too much weight into it with metal eyelets, and i dont want to weaken the soundboard by cutting too many holes close together. Im not sure how important the positioning or circumference of the holes are so I am for now going to ignore this and explore the answer after ive tried my chosen option which will be driven primarily by what I think 'looks right'..... the attached pictures are only some of the options

No comments:

Post a Comment