Thursday 12 February 2009

Internal bracings

Next step is to get the rest of the bracing in, the bridge plate and some spars to help minimise the sound board from distorting when the strings put tension onto the bridge.
All these little bits of wood need a degree of shaping - I suspect more for personal satisfaction than accoustic quality on an instrument like this. And I did indeed enjoy the little bit of carving and sanding that I did. There is some argument that shaping the braces like this reduces weight - and at the end of the day you are trying to create a soundboard with minimal weight, lots of resonance and lots of strength - it all makes good sense.
So that was another 3 hours in the garage while the family watched 'Americas next top model'..... I think my time was better spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment