Wednesday 4 March 2009

Sticking my neck out (on)




Now that the box lid is gled shut, its time at long last to stick the neck onto the body. Ive been a bit anxious about this bit... its got to be strong, straight, flat and clean.

I had made a marking template (from a flattened coke can) and used a multitude of clamps and blocks to ensure my dowel holes were accurately aligned on the neck and body. Then after sanding the varnish off the box in the joint area (for a good glue key) it was simply a case of creating a jig that would hold the whole thing straight while the glue dried.
Nothing particularly clever in doing this bit other than taking a bit of time to make sure everything lines up, and using just enough sheets of writing paper to shim to the correct level the box so I could clamp it down tightly.
Hope not too much glue squeezed out from between the fret board and sound-box because once in the jig I couldn't clean excess glue from that area.

No comments:

Post a Comment