Saturday 7 March 2009

Polishing


First up, I should declare that I DO acknowledge that often the measure of success is in the detail.... however if I know anything about myself, its that I start to lose interest when it comes to finishing details, and if I flog myself to focus on the finishing details, I often just keep putting things off and ultimately never actually finish a project.
I have seen some lousy finishes on ukuleles and I've seen some beautiful finishes on ukuleles, and it was my intention right from the start of this project to put some effort in to making sure my finish wasnt one of the lousy ones. Ideally it would be a beautiful finish - but not if it meant weeks of sanding, filling, lacquering and polishing. And so I deliberately limited the time I'd spend on polishing in the hope that I wouldnt lose interest and give up.
I decided to go for a danish oil and beeswax finish - mainly because I had the materials already available from when i did some pine doors a while ago. After maybe a half hour of sanding with increasing grit grades, I applied 3 coats of "Rustins danish oil - low lustre finish" (managed to get all 3 done in one day), then once fully dry (following day) 2 sessions with some 0000 fine wire-wool and clear Briwax polish. A quick buff and all was 'good enough'. In my mind I kept telling myself that I could always do more finishing and polishing in the future if i really wanted to - but lets face it...... I wont :-)
There were a couple of points that I might have done differently if i was to do it again. Firstly, where i had modified the neck by sawing bits off, the exposed wood (below the laquer of the original Ohana finish) stood out like a sore thumb.... in retrospect i should have stained these bits to blend them in a bit prior to oiling and waxing.
And secondly - and this bit irritates me now - I forgot to sand back carefully the wipe of glue that was left on the soundboard from when I glued the bridge on. This meant that the oil didnt get an even penetration there, and consequently there is a bit of a white wittness line around the position of the bridge - I guess I could still sand back and rework, but I wont. I can live with it and put it down to a "good learn"

1 comment:

  1. A great storey, well told. I think your next one should make use of the location of the sound holes to produce a smiley face. By placing the bridge on a an up facing cresant shaped piece of wood you could produce a nice smile. Think how good you would feel knowing the uk is having fun to.
    And now, how does it play?
    Anthony Deeph AKA Tone Deaf

    ReplyDelete